Well, it's that time of year again. The early morning traffic, children's yells in the playground, school busses, and just getting back into the old routine. But, wait a minute! School has been going for one week and already we had a holiday. (Secretly, I think it was the teacher's plan for one more last summer fling) Okay, so now, school is back in full force with no pending holidays until Thanksgiving (I think)
So, what's this talk about freedom, you ask? Well, I'm in a stage in my older life where I only have one child in school (ahhh! where did the time go?) And, she's a junior in high school. She just got her driver's license, but no vehicle yet. In the mean time, our Great & Awesome God has placed us in a neighborhood where a fellow classmate of hers lives just a few houses down and she rides to school with him. YES! I can save time and gas. I can substitute teach any time I want, right? Freedom! But, wait, I must remind you that my son just graduated high school. He works the evening shift at UPS. And I'm very excited to say that he registered for classes at Odessa College & began full time just today. So, what's the problem? He doesn't have a driver's license or a vehicle. Heavy sigh. That leaves me giving him a ride to school and work. He's a great kid, but when he turned 15, old enough to take driver's ed to get his driver's permit, it was only on the condition that he kept his grades up. Sadly, they never went up. So, here we are.
Well, once I saw him determined to get his license, we signed him up for the online driver's course. He passed it and received his certficate (yay!) Now, he must take the driving test. We went to the dps, which is always packed and lines sometimes out the door, to make an appointment for his test. Because that is what you must do now, you must make an appointment to take the driving test. Yay, we are next! But, the clerk tells us we must make the appointment online...what!? Okay, so we leave. I come home, get online, finally find the link for the appointment part and as I fill out the information, a required line is 'driver's license number'. What?! He doesn't have a driver's license number! Hence, the reason for the appointment for the driving test! But, nonetheless, I can not continue setting up the appointment without the number. Ugh! So, off to the dps we'll go again. "Why don't you call?" You ask? Well, they never answer the phone!
Okay, so we are getting closer to the license. So, freedom is just around the corner? Well, not yet. My precious son doesn't have a vehicle. But as soon as he gets his license, we'll be searching for a good pre-owned vehicle. If you have any tips on this matter, this mommywholivesinhercarallday, would appreciate all the advice out there :)
Although, all this may seem a little nerve wrecking, I know my God is in control and that His timing on All things is best. So, I take comfort in that. So until then, I will enjoy having my son in the passenger side for a while longer because before I know it, he'll be out & about on his own, without me. So, freedom can wait.
"As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more." Psalm 103:15
Very nice post, my friend! :D
ReplyDeleteMy son will be 18 in December and doesn't have his license either ~ because of his grades! I'm hoping this year it will be a priority for him.
ReplyDelete